Making Money Moves is a new podcast brought to you by Janet’s List, hosted by Janet Oganah and Adonica Simmons. The aim of our podcast is to open up conversations about money, mind-set, and the moves people have made to build successful businesses. If you are a female entrepreneur, a high impact woman or are simply looking for inspiration, this podcast is for you. We interview inspiring guests, mostly women of colour, who are building incredible businesses. Our guests will also share tips and strategies, which you can apply at any stage of your entrepreneurial journey.
We had a brilliant chat with Tahlia Gray, Founder of hosiery brand Sheer Chemistry, specialising in shades for women of colour. While working abroad in New York, the shock discovery that the cosmopolitan city didn’t have skin colour tights available for sale in her skin tone, Tahlia walks us through how the absence of an essential product led her to fill this gap in the market while representing and empowering black women in a way unique to the approach of other brands. Tahlia tells us how her love for travel paired with her business studies background empowered her to create her ideal brand, details intricacies of the manufacturing process and let’s us in on some bootstrapping hacks that helped her shave pounds off her marketing campaign.
Here’s what you’ll learn this episode:
- Finding a name that represents the brand’s ethos (5:36)
- Hanging out at makeup counters and using makeup foundation tones for inspiration, doing the research and budgeting for minimum orders (6:18)
- Establishing contracts when dealing with manufacturers overseas, bridging the business-practise gaps and calling it a day when values don’t align (10:15)
- ‘Wood and food?’ – flouting stereotypes to frame women of colour in a positive light (10:54)
- How the W Hotel collaboration came about (14:19)
- Getting Sheer Chemistry tights on the Kingdom Choir at the Royal Wedding (17:31)
- Cash injection, the Virgin Startup loan process and the impact of the mentorship included (19:33)
- Money well spent – the costs of a photoshoot and some bootstrap tips for saving costs marketing, packaging design and the importance of quality imagery (21:44)
- Making the most of pop-ups, choosing a prime position and rough costs of showcasing your wares (23:16)
- Tahlia’s Janet’s List spotlight – Colour Shot Cards (28:10)
- Who Tahlia would like to hear next on the show (28:44)
Sheer Chemistry – @SheerChemistry Twitter
Janet Oganah: @Janet_Oganah (Twitter)
Adonica Simmons: Global Style Services (Instagram)
The overall mission of Janet’s List is to connect consumers with women of colour in business. We want to close the gap between consumers and women of colour in business and to improve diversity in the business landscape. We also have a curated edit on Janet’s List where you can buy directly from fantastic brands by women of colour.
Podcast listeners! You can get a special discount of 10% off Janet’s List using the code: JANETSLIST10
Stay tuned and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and your favourite podcast apps