**Our new Janet’s List / Making Money Moves Facebook Group is here – to join, go to: http://bit.ly/JanetsListandMakingMoneyMovesFBGroup **
Making Money Moves is a brand new podcast brought to you by Janet’s List, hosted by Janet Oganah and Adonica Simmons. The aim of our podcast is to open up conversations about money, mindset and the moves people have made to build successful businesses.
If you are a female entrepreneur, a high impact woman or are simply looking for inspiration, this podcast is for you. We interview inspiring guests, mostly women of colour, who are building incredible businesses. Our guests will also share tips and strategies, which you can apply at any stage of your entrepreneurial journey.
We loved our conversation with Kay Montano, makeup artist extraordinaire, creative director and co-founder of inclusive beauty platform ThandieKay. She gave us the scoop on how her first ever copy of Vogue magazine captivated her teenage mind, how a chance meeting with an 80s band front woman led her to work with fashion’s finest, and how working with megastar musician Prince on a shoot directed by actress Salma Hayek tops her list of impactful projects with the super gifted (and not the famous-for-fame’s-sake, thank you very much).
Kay speaks about grounding yourself to recognise what matters in life, reveals how she’s worked freelance for her entire career, talks partnership between herself and actress Thandie Newton, close friend an co-conspirator in shaking up the beauty world with a more inclusive narrative, and makes an exclusive product announcement about upcoming goodies from the ThandieKay brand. And check out our minisode for a peek inside our makeup bags…
Here’s what you’ll learn this episode:
- How Kay made bold career moves as a teenager (4:16)
- Give and take – an alternative perspective on internships and getting the vital experience you need (7:47)
- Cabs, champagne and clubs! (9:05)
- The importance of creating an aspirational portfolio to boost your profile (9:52)
- Working with agents who are truly excited about your work (10:34)
- What Kay looks for in a makeup assistant (13:45)
- Stay in your lane – the unwritten hierarchy of high end fashion shoots (16.16)
- True legends – talent over fame, and working with Prince (18:27)
- Repurposing your skillset – how to leverage market changes to your advantage (24.19)
- ThandieKay – dissecting race and heritage, managing egos in business partnerships and writing the narrative of the indefinable woman (33.25)
- Product alert from ThandieKay and an exclusive announcement (40.50)
- Who Kay would love to hear next on the show (42.27)
If you would like to connect with us on social media, you can find us all here:
Janet Oganah: @Janet_Oganah (Twitter)
Adonica Simmons: Global Style Services (Instagram)
Special shout-out to Janet’s List members Flora and Curl for Kay’s goody-bag in this episode. To find out more about its founder Rose Ovensehi, her wonderful story and this sweet-smelling natural hair product line, visit our website.
The overall mission of Janet’s List is to connect consumers with women of colour in business. We want to close the gap between consumers and women of colour in business and to improve diversity in the business landscape. We also have a curated edit on Janet’s List where you can buy directly from fantastic brands by women of colour.
Podcast listeners! You can get a special discount of 10% off Janet’s List using the code: JANETSLIST10
Stay tuned and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes and your favourite podcast apps